This is a recording of the sixth webinar hosted by the TCPA sharing learning and insights into 20-minute neighbourhoods. Held in late June 2023, it focused on how we might create complete, compact and connected communities in rural areas.
The keynote address was delivered by Professor Carlos Moreno from IAE Paris-Sorbonne University, and creator of the ’15-minute city’ concept.
In rural areas the implementation of 20-minute neighbourhoods, or complete, compact and connected communities poses a different set of challenges from those typical in urban areas. But there are also opportunities for innovative, collaborative delivery of services and infrastructure to support vibrant rural communities and social cohesion, while reducing health inequalities.
This webinar explored:
- creating connections and networks between villages to increase safe, enjoyable routes to services and facilities;
- quiet lanes and lower speed environments to support and promote active travel in rural areas; and
- innovative ways to build health and wealth in rural places.
With contributions from:
- Prof Carlos Moreno, Associate Professor at the IAE Paris-Sorbonne University
- Sarah Featherstone and Judith Sykes, VeloCity
- Will Haynes, Sustrans
- Alison Macklin, Plunkett Foundation
- David Patterson, Wivey Cares
The TCPA would like to thank Sport England for making this webinar possible.